- 1.44 Etayaiva savicara nirvicara ca suksma visaya vyakhyata
- etaya = in the same way / by this / by these
- eva = also / only
- savicara = with subtle thought / with reflection
- nirvicara = without subtle thought / without reflection
- ca = and
- suksma = subtle
- visaya = object / thing
- vyakhyata = explained / described / defined
1. savitarka samapatti = awareness of an object involving the name of the object, previous knowledge of the object and the object itself
2. nirvitarka samapatti = awareness only of the object itself (no mental commentary)
"The first step is logical thinking, and if you continue, the last step will be contemplation. . . . Vicar is contemplation. What a poet does. He contemplates. He just looks at a flower, he doesn't think about it. This is the distinction, very subtle: the logician things about the flower, the poet thinks the flower, not about it. The logician goes round and round [cutting the flower, putting it into pigeonholes, classifying it, labeling it], a poet goes direct and hits the very reality of flower"
3. savicara samapatti = ". . . anybody who enters savicara becomes a poet - thinks the flower, not about it, but . . there is still division. The poet is separate from the flower. The poet is the subject and the flower is the object. . . . Duality exists"
4. nirvicara samapatti = "In savicara . . . logic has been dropped, but not duality. In nirvicara . . . even duality is dropped. One simply looks at the flower, not thinking of himself and not thinking of the flower; not thinking at all. . . One simply is being with the flower, not thinking about, not thinking - neither like the logician nor like the poet"
Got it?! 😝
To sum up, this sutra rounds out the 4 stages of samapatti (clarity) that was started with sutra 1.42. A yogi needs to go through the stages of samapatti in order to gain clarity and live in the state of now (samadhi). Remember how Patanjali is a list guy? Well, here's his current list 1. savitarka (logical) - name, previous knowledge, object, 2. nirvitarka (logical) - object, 3. savicara (contemplation) - duality exists, 4. nirvicara (contemplation) - no duality.
Your challenge for this week is this . . . if you understand or have ever had the experiences discussed in this sutra drop me a line. I'd love to try to understand it further. If not, then your challenge is to simply notice any areas in your life where you just don't know. It's not comfortable, or really much fun, but maybe sometimes 'I don't know' just needs space. Maybe there doesn't always have to be a set answer, or a definite way and it just needs time and space to percolate.
But then again . . . . I don't know!!